Monday, 5 September 2011

I wish I may, I wish I might...

I closed my eyes as five men lifted the red mat. I am on it. I'm thinking the three don't s: don't fall, don't trip, don't drop me. I'm on the red mat in a swim suit. My dad, my brother, Zach, my brother's best friend, Dave,  Dave's dad, Mr. Dee, and my Make a Wish coach, Danny: I know their names because I'm trusting them with my life. All of these people are helping me to achieve my wish.

I wished upon a star that one day I might swim again. September 3, 2011, my wish came true. I was like a fish returning to a fish bowl. When my body first touched the water, I felt that I was safe. I was safe because I felt the love from each person holding me.  I felt relaxed. It was the most relaxed I have ever felt. 

Floating around the pool, I could feel the water touch my arms. The water was warm and the waves sang a song to my whole body,  "boom-ba, boom-ba, boom-ba".  It was as if the water was hugging me hello.  As I floated, my mind was watching a slide show of pictures from the last time I remember swimming with my brother and sister. I wore a vibrant multi-colored  two piece. It was my favourite. My siblings and I were playing splash, unfair advantage, two girls against the boy. It didn't stop him from beating us. Saturday, the water felt like home. The pool used to be my best friend and nothing had changed. 

I will see my old friend again soon. I'm going swimming again and this time, I am more excited than nervous.  


6 comments:

  1. Chelsea, I am so excited for you and so glad it was all you had hoped for. Yeah!!! Mrs. Graham

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Chelsea I am so happy that you had fun and felt secure and confident with the guys supporting you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Chelsea,
    I am so glad you got to go swimming again. I know what you mean when you say that the water is your friend. I feel the same way. i am super excited for you.
    You are an amazing person Chelsea and I count myself lucky to be one of your friends. Keep partying girl!!
    Luv ya,
    Sanjana

    ReplyDelete
  4. And once again, dangit, you bring a tear to my eye. This is so wonderful! I will be there when you do it again! Big Hugs!!
    Love,
    Mrs. Hill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chelsea,

    My name is Laurie Oskins. Your home base advisor, Mr. Oskins, is my son. He forwarded your blog to me because he is so proud of you and what you are accomplishing this year. I just retired from teaching,I taught sixth grade English here in Las Vegas, Nevada. You are an exceptional writer, Chelsea, and I look forward to reading more about your experiences. Your description of your love of swimming certainly stirs your readers' emotions. Sincerely, Mrs. O

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Chelsea,
    I think that you are a true inspiration to others. It must be great to get back into the water again. Keep dreaming :D

    ReplyDelete