Friday, 2 September 2011

Wishing on a Star and IT COMING TRUE!

Ever since I was a little girl, I've loved being in water. I went in the pool almost every single day. The pool was one of my best friends. Six o'clock in the morning, my first thought was always the pool. The water would whisper my name. The water and the rush of cold would make me feel wide awake. After school, I would visit and play with my friend, the pool. 

Swimming was always a way to connect with my body. On land, I couldn't run as fast as the others, and I had terrible balance. In the water, I didn't have these limits. In the water, I could play gymnast. I could play cheerleader. I could even be a mermaid if I wanted to. On land, feeling like a penguin was a disadvantage, but in the water, it was an advantage. Being in the water, it didn't matter what if I waddled like a penguin. In the water, I could swim like a fish. The water on my skin brought me feelings hope. But then, I got sick; and, those feelings of being in the water had to stop. But they have never gone away.

One evening as I was whining through my algebra, studying for my final exam, Mom bounced in. She said, "I got a phone call today. It was the Make A Wish Foundation. I wished for George Clooney." "Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha," sarcastically, I laughed, "You're very funny mother." She told me they wanted to make MY wish come true and that they were coming to our house to find out what my George Clooney wish would be.  My first thought was that I wanted to see the premier of Glee, season 3, in person, because I am such a Gleek. I also thought about meeting someone famous, not George Clooney, but maybe Kelly Clarkson or Nina Dobrev, the star of the Vampire Diaries. I also changed my mind to a makeover. 

My brother suggested that I go swimming (he suggested this in his fake British accent). At first, I thought no way. I can't go through all of those happy memories followed by heartbreak because I won't be able to do it again. Then, I thought about floating. When I float, I daydream. I daydream about being able. I wanted to feel floating again. I want to feel able. I wanted to feel the water on my skin. I wanted it to be how it was before I got sick.

Tomorrow, I get to feel the water. Tomorrow, I get to feel able again. Tomorrow is the first time in five years that I get to feel normal. Tomorrow is the first time I will go in the pool. Tomorrow is my final practice with my family -  my heroes. Their effort, and patience, has made this happen. If this works, I will go in the water again for everyone else. After tomorrow, I will be surrounded by friends and more family. That day will feel like everyone coming to my party. That day everyone gets to see how lively I can be. That day, I WILL be the life of the party.

I am OVERPOWERED with nerves. I am hopeful. I am inspired. I am excited. I am terrified.

I am going swimming tomorrow!

I will post pictures soon.


11 comments:

  1. Chelsea...I am really very happy to hear this very good news from you...I wish you the best. I'll be looking forward for photos of this very memorable event. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you and hope that tomorrow is everything you have imagined - you are amazing.Love You XX

    Thank You to all at Make a Wish Singapore

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chelsea, you write beautifully. I hope you have a fantastic experience tomorrow and that this is just the start of your new swimming adventures. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder what thoughts you will have as you float in the pool tomorrow? Will they be funny? Will they be exciting? Looking forward to the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so wonderful, I will be thinking of you .Have a fantastic time . Love to you all . XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chelsea,

    This is a wonderful post and you are a great writer!! Be sure to follow up with a post because I can't wait to read it!!

    Stephanie Bush

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chelsea - How cool! Have a blast, we are all looking forward to the pictures. -Rob & Jeanna Black

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I could be there to see it, have a wonderful time, can't wait to see the pictures. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautifully written Chelsea! You need someone to video for you so we can share your delight. I hope the water is a perfect temperature for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so happy that your wish came true! I hope the experience was all you wanted it to be. Thuy-Linh and I can't wait to see you and your family again so that we can celebrate your achievements with you!

    Keep up the writing ... to have a "voice" such as yours is a rare gift.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm really happy for you I would not even try because i'm afraid of what might happen, but you are the most courageous person I have ever heard about and read about. Congratulations and good luck

    ReplyDelete